This dog activity mat is the perfect solution to keep your dog engaged during feeding time. Simply sprinkle treats or dry dog food within the mat and watch them go to work. A non slip rear surface area with straps keep it in place. Keep your dog mentally and physically stimulated and help relieve stress with your very own snuffle mat. Great for small, medium or large dogs!
- Helps train sense of smell
- Keeps your dog mentally and physically stimulated
- Makes crate time a fun time
- Encourages your dog to use their natural instincts to forage for food
- Great for Small, Medium or Large Dogs
- Ideal for pets on restricted exercise
- Encourages attentive play
- Non-slip backing to prevent slippage during use
- Easy to clean; machine washable
- Measures 35.5" x 35.5"
Benefits of a Dog Activity Mat
A snuffle mat or activity mat has many benefits! Here are the few notable ones:
Provides Mental Stimulation
An activity mat brings out your dogs foraging instincts. Many dogs prefer to forage for food as their ancestors did long ago; they love working for a reward and mental stimulation. A snuffle mat is great for engaging your dog both physically and mentally.
Helps your dog eat slower
If your dog eats too fast or has digestive issues, a snuffle mat is a great way to slow them down. Your dog will have to dig through the layers of the mat to find their food or treats, making it slower for them to eat all of their food.
Mentally stimulated dogs are known to be less anxious and stressed. Completing tasks successfully gives your dog confidence and means they are less likely to act out by eating your shoes or damaging things around the house!
Great for dogs with mobility issues
Not all toys are suitable for senior dogs or does with mobility issues. Any dog can use a snuffle mat, regardless of their age, weight, size or mobility issues! An activity mat is a great way to engage your dog if they've just recovered from surgery or have difficultly running or walking.
Helps with behavior
Slowly introduce your dog to new locations, smells or noises by allowing them to use an activity mat when an anxiety causing stimulus is near by. This will distract them and reduce their anxiety and behavior problems; weather it's barking at the door bell or jumping up on guests. An activity mat will help redirect their energy until they settle down.
Some other benefits include
- Can be used to expend energy when there is inclement weather outside
- Helps to reduce problem behaviors
- Helps to build independence
- Assists learning and development
- Relaxes them
- Benefits their mental health and well-being
- Helps to build a positive relationship with you and your dog
- Provides an outlet for their energy and wears them out
How to use an activity mat
Simply take a handful of your dogs' favourite treats or kibble and sprinkle throughout the snuffle mat and place into all the crevasses. Dry food or treats work best and will help maintain the longevity of the mat. Gradually increase the complexity of where the treats are hidden so your dog can get used to foraging through the mat.
How to wash a snuffle mat
Option 1: Hand wash with cold water and a mild detergent. Air dry.
Option 2: Machine wash with cold water on a delicate cycle - do not use bleach. Tumble dry on low and remove promptly. Do not iron.